Both MA and PhD programs are normally accept applications every semester. The admissions for the first semester entry normally begin around January-February. For the second semester entry, the admissions normally begin around September-October. The coursework for the first semester usually starts in August, while the second semester begins in January.
We are looking for applicants with strong academic records and/or solid professional experience from diverse backgrounds. Since all instructions will be conducted in English, English competency is required to be admitted in this program. While the admission committee considers various aspects of applicants, the followings are basic requirements for the application.
1. An applicant must meet one of the following academic qualifications
- Earn a Master’s degree in any related fields which are approved by the Department’s Committee on Graduate Programs in Information Studies
- Earn a Bachelor’s degree (honours required for PhD applicant) in any related fields which are approved by the Department’s Committee on Graduate Programs in Information Studies
- Study in the last semester at a Bachelor’s or higher level and be expected to complete an eligible degree (with the honours for PhD applicant) in any related fields which are approved by the Department’s Committee on Graduate Programs in Information Studies
2. An applicant must have one of the English language proficiency test scores which must be valid for two years from the date of the exam:
For MA Applicant
- TOEFL (Paper-based Test: PBT) with a minimum of 525
- TOEFL (Internet-based Test: iBT) with a minimum of 71
- CU-TEP with a minimum of 67
- IELTS with a minimum of 5.5
For PhD Applicant
- TOEFL (Paper-based Test: PBT) with a minimum of 550
- TOEFL (Internet-based Test: iBT) with a minimum of 79
- CU-TEP with a minimum of 75
- IELTS with a minimum of 6.0
If an applicant holds an international degree from a university certified by the Office of the Civil Service Commission, there is no need to submit the English language proficiency test scores.
After all applications are reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Required documents for all applicants
- A completed online application form (click here)
- A passport photo
- A proof of application fee payment (see application form for more information about application fee)
- A photocopy of identification card or passport with verification
- A photocopy of transcripts with verification
- A valid copy of English proficiency test scores with verification
- Two letters of recommendation from an applicant’s employers and/or university instructors (Please inform the references’ to submit the recommendation letters via email to by the deadlines)
- A 800 – 1,000-word statement of purpose indicating the following elements:
- an applicant’ reasons for studying in this program
- study plan
- goals after graduation
Additional document for an application to the doctoral program
- A 3,000 – 5,000-word research proposal at least including the following sections:
- Introduction (e.g. overview of the research, research questions, the major approaches, rationale, and significance of the research
- Research contexts (e.g. understanding of the research issues, and existing both theoretical and practical gaps that the research is intended to address
- Research design and methods
All required and additional documents, including the English language proficiency test scores, must be directly submitted to the Department of Library Science. An application without the above mentioned documents will not be considered for an interview.
Visit the GPIS Admissions application page to apply and check the admission schedule for the upcoming entry.
For further information on qualifications of applicants, please contact
Thippaya Chintakovid, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Programs in Information Studies
Department of Library Science, Faculty of Arts
8th Floor, Borumratchakumaree Building
Bangkok, Thailand 10330
Tel: (66)0-2218-4817, (66)0-2218-4814
Fax: (66) 0-2218-4818
Website : http://www.arts.chula.ac.th/libsci/ma-phd/